While the length of a day hasn’t changed, the amount most of us try to cram into one has. Responsibilities are ever increasing, as are the distractions to get things done. It goes without saying that it’s impossible to increase the number of hours in a day, but finding ways to make the most of these hours is not just possible, it’s a must.
Here are several tips to help increase your daily productivity:
- Make a to-do list every morning and try not to do anything that isn’t on it. If you start your day without a specific plan, you will end up drifting through random tasks as they cross your mind instead of accomplishing what is important.
- Do your best to eliminate distractions. Whether it’s turning off the volume of your phone while you are working or locking yourself in a room until your task is done, distractions are the enemy of productivity and must be avoided.
- Do one task at a time. Studies have proven that multitasking is not nearly as effective as isolating one task at a time and knocking it out. Too many items in your focus is a perfect recipe for no focus at all.
- Learn shortcuts. Find yourself doing the same basic tasks over and over? Find a way to automate or look for shortcuts. Whether it’s learning shortcuts on your keyboard or finding ways to eliminate redundancies, properly executed shortcuts are the key to streamlining your day.
- Track your minutes. Just like with money, it’s hard to know what needs help if you aren’t aware of the problem in the first place. Track how you spend your time, identify the areas that need work, then formulate a plan to improve.
- Take breaks and get some exercise. Being rested and in shape will go a long way towards increasing your focus and keeping you full of energy.
None of these ideas will work if they don’t become a habit. Enlist the help of a friend or find a way to make things part of your every day routine. Then watch your productivity take off!