Safe Harbor for Deducting Remodeling Costs Incurred by Retail and Restaurant Businesses

remodelingLate last year, the IRS provided a safe harbor that allows a retail or restaurant business to deduct 75 percent of the qualified costs incurred in performing a remodeling project on a qualified building. The business must capitalize the remaining 25 percent of the costs and recover them through depreciation. Previously, the deductibility of such costs were controversial and the subject of scrutiny in an audit.

There are a number of conditions on using this safe harbor so, if you think you have costs that may qualify for this safe harbor, we should review the requirements that must be met in order to deduct such costs.

Advertisements

About cozbycpa

Heather L. Cozby is a CPA on the South Shore and Cape Cod. The managing partner of Cozby & Company, LLC, Heather has the resources and experience necessary to provide quality professional services on a timely basis and at a reasonable cost. She specializes in tax planning & preparation; audit, review & compilation services; management advisory services; bookkeeping; and accounting. Her unique niche is in working with homeowners’ associations and condominium trusts, advising with rental real estate, and providing outsourced financial consulting for mid-sized companies. She is more entrepreneurial than most accountants, and offers the best of both worlds - providing the services of a larger firm while retaining the ability to connect with her clients on a personal level.
This entry was posted in Accounting and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.