Deferring Income into 2017

deferring-incomeIf it looks like you may have a significant decrease in income next year, it may make sense to defer income into 2017 or later years. Some options for deferring income include:

1) If you are due a year-end bonus, having your employer pay the bonus in January 2017.

2) If you are considering selling assets that will generate a gain, postponing the sale until 2017.

3) Delaying the exercise of any stock options.

4) If you are planning on selling appreciated property, consider an installment sale with larger payments being received in 2017.

5) Consider parking investments in deferred annuities.


About cozbycpa

Heather L. Cozby is a CPA on the South Shore and Cape Cod. The managing partner of Cozby & Company, LLC, Heather has the resources and experience necessary to provide quality professional services on a timely basis and at a reasonable cost. She specializes in tax planning & preparation; audit, review & compilation services; management advisory services; bookkeeping; and accounting. Her unique niche is in working with homeowners’ associations and condominium trusts, advising with rental real estate, and providing outsourced financial consulting for mid-sized companies. She is more entrepreneurial than most accountants, and offers the best of both worlds - providing the services of a larger firm while retaining the ability to connect with her clients on a personal level.
This entry was posted in Personal Finance and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.