If it looks like you may have a significant decrease in income next year, it may make sense to defer income into 2017 or later years. Some options for deferring income include:
1) If you are due a year-end bonus, having your employer pay the bonus in January 2017.
2) If you are considering selling assets that will generate a gain, postponing the sale until 2017.
3) Delaying the exercise of any stock options.
4) If you are planning on selling appreciated property, consider an installment sale with larger payments being received in 2017.
5) Consider parking investments in deferred annuities.