Depending on your projected income for 2017, it may make sense to accelerate income into 2016 if you expect 2017 income to be significantly higher. Options for accelerating income include:
1) Harvesting gains from your investment portfolio, keeping in mind the 3.8 percent NIIT.
2) Converting a retirement account into a Roth IRA and recognizing the conversion income this year.
3) Taking IRA distributions this year rather than next year.
4) If you are self-employed and have clients with receivables on hand, try to get them to pay before year end.
5) Settle any outstanding lawsuits or insurance claims that will generate income this year.