Here are some personal finance tips that will serve you well in life:
- Start investing early. Taking advantage of extra years of compound interest is the best way to retire well.
- Avoid conspicuous consumption. Don’t buy it if you don’t really need it. Buying things just to keep up will make you feel like you’re always broke, no matter how much you make.
- Don’t pay interest. While a mortgage, reasonable car payment, or student loans are okay, credit card debt is not. Save for something rather than going into debt.
- Have an emergency fund. When you get hit with unexpected expenses, you don’t want to have to take out a loan or put it on your credit card.
- Budget for everything. A budget isn’t just for big expenses, but should help you track every dollar, including spending and savings.