IRS Identity Theft FAQ: First Steps for Victims

Are you a victim of identity theft? Or do you think you might become one because of a lost or stolen wallet, or questionable credit card activity or credit report? Perhaps you’ve received a letter from the IRS suggesting that someone has stolen your identity.

If so, here’s what to do:

1) If you’ve received an IRS letter, respond immediately.

2) If you haven’t received a letter but still think you’re at risk, fill out and submit Form 14039, “Identity Theft Affidavit”, found on the IRS website. The IRS will then take steps to further secure your identity.

3) File a police report with your local law enforcement agency.

4) Contact the credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit account.

Identity theft is a growing problem nationwide. It can be a frustrating and complex process for victims, and is a top priority for the IRS.

Learn more about their efforts at, where you can type “identity theft” into the search field.


About cozbycpa

Heather L. Cozby is a CPA on the South Shore and Cape Cod. The managing partner of Cozby & Company, LLC, Heather has the resources and experience necessary to provide quality professional services on a timely basis and at a reasonable cost. She specializes in tax planning & preparation; audit, review & compilation services; management advisory services; bookkeeping; and accounting. Her unique niche is in working with homeowners’ associations and condominium trusts, advising with rental real estate, and providing outsourced financial consulting for mid-sized companies. She is more entrepreneurial than most accountants, and offers the best of both worlds - providing the services of a larger firm while retaining the ability to connect with her clients on a personal level.
This entry was posted in Data Security, Fraud, Identity Theft, IRS, IRS Video, Personal Finance, YouTube and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.