Help for Disaster Victims

As we head into hurricane season, make sure you know the options available to you and what steps to take if disaster strikes your home or business.

If you are the victim of a severe storm, flood, earthquake, or other disaster and your property was damaged or destroyed, the IRS may be able to help.

You may be able to claim a casualty loss on your tax return. (This is a loss that isn’t covered by insurance or other reimbursements.)

If your loss occurred in a federally declared disaster area, you can claim it on either this year’s or last year’s tax return, putting money in your pocket now when you need it.

One of the first steps to take after a disaster is to inventory your property, taking pictures to document any lost or damaged items. The IRS can provide copies of your tax returns or transcripts to help reconstruct your financial records. They can also help if you owe money or need to file a tax return.


About cozbycpa

Heather L. Cozby is a CPA on the South Shore and Cape Cod. The managing partner of Cozby & Company, LLC, Heather has the resources and experience necessary to provide quality professional services on a timely basis and at a reasonable cost. She specializes in tax planning & preparation; audit, review & compilation services; management advisory services; bookkeeping; and accounting. Her unique niche is in working with homeowners’ associations and condominium trusts, advising with rental real estate, and providing outsourced financial consulting for mid-sized companies. She is more entrepreneurial than most accountants, and offers the best of both worlds - providing the services of a larger firm while retaining the ability to connect with her clients on a personal level.
This entry was posted in Data Security, IRS, IRS Video, Planning Strategies, Self-Employed, YouTube and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.