Changed Your Name After Marriage or Divorce?

If you’ve changed your name after a recent marriage, divorce, or some other reason, you need to register the change with the Social Security Admistration before you file your tax return.

That’s because names that don’t match can cause problems when the IRS processes your return. This can delay your refund.

To update your records, use Form SS-5 (the application for a Social Security card). You can get it from or from your local Social Security office.

Whether you file Form SS-5 in person or by mail, you will need to provide documentation of your legal name change, such as an original or a certified copy of your marriage certificate.


About cozbycpa

Heather L. Cozby is a CPA on the South Shore and Cape Cod. The managing partner of Cozby & Company, LLC, Heather has the resources and experience necessary to provide quality professional services on a timely basis and at a reasonable cost. She specializes in tax planning & preparation; audit, review & compilation services; management advisory services; bookkeeping; and accounting. Her unique niche is in working with homeowners’ associations and condominium trusts, advising with rental real estate, and providing outsourced financial consulting for mid-sized companies. She is more entrepreneurial than most accountants, and offers the best of both worlds - providing the services of a larger firm while retaining the ability to connect with her clients on a personal level.
This entry was posted in IRS, IRS Video, Social Security, Tax Tips, YouTube and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.