Missing W-2

Employers should send you your W-2 by January 31.

If you’re ready to file your tax return but your W-2 still hasn’t arrived, make sure you’ve waited two weeks to allow time for mail delays.

If you still haven’t received it by the middle of February, contact your employer to be sure they have your correct address on file.

If you still can’t track it down, call the IRS at 1-800-TAX-1040. If you provide them with your name, address, phone number, SSN, the name and address of your employer, and the period of time that you worked there, they’ll send a letter to the IRS on your behalf.

Regardless of whether you receive all your tax information on time, you still must file your return by April 15. Use Form 4852 as a substitute for your W-2, and list your estimated wages and withholding using a pay stub as a guide.

If you receive your W-2 later and realize you didn’t estimate accurately, you can file an amended return using Form 1040-X.

About cozbycpa

Heather L. Cozby is a CPA on the South Shore and Cape Cod. The managing partner of Cozby & Company, LLC, Heather has the resources and experience necessary to provide quality professional services on a timely basis and at a reasonable cost. She specializes in tax planning & preparation; audit, review & compilation services; management advisory services; bookkeeping; and accounting. Her unique niche is in working with homeowners’ associations and condominium trusts, advising with rental real estate, and providing outsourced financial consulting for mid-sized companies. She is more entrepreneurial than most accountants, and offers the best of both worlds - providing the services of a larger firm while retaining the ability to connect with her clients on a personal level.
This entry was posted in IRS, IRS Video, Personal Taxes, Tax Tips, Taxes, YouTube and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.