IRS Identity Theft FAQ: First Steps for Victims

Are you a victim of identity theft? Do you think you may become one because of a lost or stolen wallet, or questionable credit card activity or credit report? Or did the IRS send you a letter suggesting someone has stolen your identity, or perhaps telling you about a tax return that someone filed as you without your knowledge?

If so, here’s what to do:

1) If you received a letter from the IRS, respond immediately.

2) If you think you may be at risk because of a lost wallet, fill out the IRS Identity Theft Affidavit (Form 14039). This will enable the IRS to secure your account.

3) File a police report with your local police station, and contact the credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit account.

Visit and type “identity theft” in the search field for more information.


About cozbycpa

Heather L. Cozby is a CPA on the South Shore and Cape Cod. The managing partner of Cozby & Company, LLC, Heather has the resources and experience necessary to provide quality professional services on a timely basis and at a reasonable cost. She specializes in tax planning & preparation; audit, review & compilation services; management advisory services; bookkeeping; and accounting. Her unique niche is in working with homeowners’ associations and condominium trusts, advising with rental real estate, and providing outsourced financial consulting for mid-sized companies. She is more entrepreneurial than most accountants, and offers the best of both worlds - providing the services of a larger firm while retaining the ability to connect with her clients on a personal level.
This entry was posted in Credit, Data Security, Identity Theft, IRS, IRS Video, Personal Finance, YouTube and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.