IRS Identity Theft: Going After The Bad Guys

With identity theft on the rise, taxpayers are asking what the IRS is doing to go after the “bad guys”.

One of their ongoing efforts is their Law Enforcement Assistance Program. Identity theft victims fill out a disclosure form (Form 8821-A), obtained from their local police station, since their Social Security Number is on the bad tax return.

This waiver allows the IRS to share tax information with local law enforcement so they can investigate and prosecute these cases.

If you’re an identity theft victim, all you need to do is file a police report and find out if your local police force participates in the IRS program.

In the meantime, the IRS will continue to work to clear up and secure your account.

Local police stations that wish to participate should contact their local IRS criminal investigation field office.


About cozbycpa

Heather L. Cozby is a CPA on the South Shore and Cape Cod. The managing partner of Cozby & Company, LLC, Heather has the resources and experience necessary to provide quality professional services on a timely basis and at a reasonable cost. She specializes in tax planning & preparation; audit, review & compilation services; management advisory services; bookkeeping; and accounting. Her unique niche is in working with homeowners’ associations and condominium trusts, advising with rental real estate, and providing outsourced financial consulting for mid-sized companies. She is more entrepreneurial than most accountants, and offers the best of both worlds - providing the services of a larger firm while retaining the ability to connect with her clients on a personal level.
This entry was posted in Data Security, Identity Theft, IRS, IRS Video, Personal Taxes, Tax Tips, Taxes, YouTube and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.